This moving checklist will help you prepare for the move to your new house.
7 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start compiling medical, dental, shot and prescription records.
- Ask doctors for referrals in your new city.
- Arrange to have school records and veterinarian records transferred.
- Gather copies of legal and financial records.
- Call your insurance agent to see what changes you need to make to your new policy.
- Contact heath clubs, organizations, and groups to cancel or transfer memberships.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Plan how you will move valuables and difficult to replace items (certified mail, or carry them with you).
- Begin purging your home. Separate items into those you will keep, donate or discard.
- Plan a garage sale.
- Start using items that can’t be moved such as frozen foods, bleach, and aerosols (check out do-not-ship items).
5 Weeks Before Your Move
- Order boxes and moving supplies
- Begin packing items you don’t use often. Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it is destined for.
- Pinpoint your move date.
- File a change of address with the Postal Service, or ask them to hold your mail at the post office in your new city.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations):
- Cell phone
- Cable/satellite and Internet
- Trash collection
- Make travel arrangements for your pets.
- Put copies of pet medical and immunization records in your move file.
- Host a garage sale.
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Plan how to transport your plants.
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives, and poisons.
- Have your automobile serviced.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Notify these professional services of your move:
- Financial planner
- Health insurance provider
- Insurance agent
- Auto finance company
- Bank/credit union/finance companies
- Credit card companies
- Health club
- Home care service providers (lawn, exterminator, snow removal, etc.)
- Laundry service
- Monthly memberships
- Store/gas charge accounts
- Notify these government offices of your move:
- City/county tax assessor
- State vehicle registration
- Social security administration
- State/federal tax bureau (IRS)
- Veterans administration
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family
- Confirm parking for your moving trailer or moving container. Obtain permits if needed.
- Plan meals for the last weeks to use up your food.
- Assemble a folder of important info about your house for the next home owner.
- Place carpet, floor and door frame protectors throughout your home
- Load goods in a pre-designated order, saving “last load” items for the rear of your shipment.
- Check every room and closet one last time to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Leave a note with your new address so that future residents can forward stray mail.
Moving in Checklist
- Clean your new home, make sure everything is in working condition and make any repairs.
- Pick up any mail being held at the local post office.
- Unload your items and begin organizing your new home.
After the Move
- Keep all receipts and documents in your move file and store it in an easy-to-remember location.
- Get a new driver’s license and automobile tags, register to vote, etc.
- Contact the local paper for a new subscription.
- Enjoy your new home!